I just upgraded my weblog to Movable Type 3.0 Developer Edition, also known as Movable Type Free.
Limitations of the license:
- No support from Six Apart
- No access to paid installation service
- No access to fee-based services
- No promotion of your weblogs through the Recently Updated list
- No commercial usage
- No more than one author and three weblogs
Sounds okay to me! Paid licenses start at $70 and includes “a guaranteed path to future versions.” If Movable Type does change, at least all the entries are on my own server, in MySQL, and I can move to a separate publishing system. I donated money to Movable Type when I first created my Movable Type weblog, and there is still an area for a ping key in my preferences.