We the Media introduction

We the Media cover This Friday is the official launch of Dan Gillmor‘s first book: We the Media. The text will be available under a Creative Commons license. Currently only the book’s introduction is online. I thought it would be cool to have an audio version of a portion of the book available by the Creative Commons party this Friday. Tonight I am happy to make available to the online community my reading of the introduction to We the Media by Dan Gillmor in both MP3 and Ogg Vorbis audio formats. My reading lasts 19 minutes and 6 seconds. If you are interested in contributing an audio chapter please let me know through comments, trackback, or e-mail; I would like to setup a RSS feed with enclosures containing audio for each chapter. [Update 8/12: I created a collection for the audio book on the Internet Archive.]

Commentary on "We the Media introduction":

1. Buzz Bruggeman on wrote:

Hi:

My name is Buzz Bruggeman. I am in the intro. How would I volunteer to read a chapeter? What kind of hardware would I need?

Also, can I download the MP3 to listen to it on my iPod?

Thanks,

Buzz

2. Niall Kennedy on wrote:

I have no problem with the file being made available for any use, including portable media devices. Once O’Reilly posts their Creative Commons version of the book online I will match its terms.

The first step to an audio post is, well, getting the audio. I used Audacity software and MicMice’s MicFlex USB microphone.

I tried to record a page at a time to allow for less mistakes. I chose to encode in 64 kbps for a faster download and less server load. I encoded the Ogg Vorbis file for novelty and to test if anyone would use the format.

If you would like to read a chapter, post the audio online and send me an e-mail. I will point to you and keep the conversation going.

3. Michael Meiser on wrote:

Where, Where, Where? I’m diging and tracking on google. I see no repository or organization yet. In fact as far as I can find you’re the only one to contribute yet.

I listened to the intro. Nice job Niall. Can’t get enough. I have yet to see a repository. I don’t know if I can put out a chapter, but the whole book is now online and I’m more than willing to put out the word and contribute in what way I can.

4. Niall Kennedy on wrote:

Michael,
    I am the repository right now. As more readings become available I can host or point to your hosting. The files can also be made available on Archive.org.

5. Toby Scales on wrote:

Niall,

I’m currently hosting the audioblogged version of Lessig’s “Free Culture”, as well as several talks by ParEcon geeks like Michael Albert on my Andromeda server at:

I’d love to help out in hosting the “We The Media” audioblog as well, and would be happy to contribute a chapter to boot. Are there any left?

Toby

6. entertainment news on wrote:

Thanks for the mp3 introduction. Just last week, I requested an audio version on Dan Gilmour’s blog. It didn’t take long for you to take up that job! Cheers to the creative commons license.

7. Bernie Goldbach on wrote:

I will read chapter 12 if it’s not taken. I can pull
    the info from the PDF. I’ve also ordered the book and it’s already dispatched so it might arrive in Ireland this week.

8. Daniel Gotilla on wrote:

I’d like to read chapter 6 if no one has volunteered yet. I’ll post again, in a week or so, when I have the file ready.

9. bxy on wrote:

I recommend using Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)for your recording for the following reasons,

1. free software (GPL)
    2. straight forward when you just need recording your voice to the computer.
    3. extremely easy (and power) to edit your recording. If you slipped your tongue, never mind, go on and come back to delete it later. (copy, cut, delete are all available.)

I am the unoffical online help/mannual Chinese translator. :)

bxy

10. Jeremy Tunnell on wrote:

Well, I suppose my southern accent would not be desirable for reading audio books, but I look forward to listening to them.