Google Blog Search overtakes Technorati’s market share according to Hitwise

Google Blog Search has overtaken Technorati’s market share in the United States according to LeeAnn Prescott of Hitwise. The success of the Google Blog Search is hand-in-hand with Google leveraging existing properties such as Google News and the Google homepage to drive traffic to its new property. Google Blog Search launched in September 2005.

Hitwise market share Technorati Google Blog Search late 2006

Technorati is the green line above, and Google Blog Search is shown in purple. Google Blog Search received a huge traffic boost in October after blog search appeared as an option on Google News pages. Google Blog Search later received a spot on the front page of Google.com, gaining the top spot on the expanded “more” services menu.

Full image of Google homepage showing search dropdown

The dreaded Google search box or Google OneBox integration can be a death blow to many Internet startups. Google Blog Search is now better able to tap into Google’s over 108 million unique users in the United States, delivering a targeted and very focused index.

Age breakdown of US visitors to Technorati and Google Blog Search

I was especially surprised by Hitwise’s estimate of the age breakdown of Google Blog Search and Technorati. Google Blog Search is most popular with users age 18-24 while Technorati is most popular with users 35-44. The Hitwise age group breakdowns are similar to comScore numbers from June placing 36% of Technorati’s users between 35 and 54 years of age even though 30% of Technorati’s traffic was from MySpace at the time.

• Posted
  • Updated at
  • Comments [6]

Commentary on "Google Blog Search overtakes Technorati’s market share according to Hitwise":

1. Justin Thorp on wrote:

I have started using Google Blog Search more because it provides me better results, it’s faster, and more dependable. Too many times with Technorati I have received messages that say something about them having a high traffic volume and that I should try again later. With Google Blog Search, I don’t have to think about what I am looking for. I can count on it just being there.

• Nemo on wrote:

As Justin said, Technorati is too unreliable, too often, and people are clearly looking for alternatives for a blog search engine. Technorati’s other bells and whistles doubtless have their loyal users, but their search just isn’t competitive anymore.

• Jane on wrote:

I fall into Google Blog Search’s age demographic and like Justin, they serve up exactly what I’m searching for: relevant and recent posts. I actually take time to type in blogsearch.google.com rather than hit the Technorati trail. Of course, the clean interface helps a lot without distraction from the tags adverts, etc.

2. Zoli Erdos on wrote:

Niall, I hate to say this, but Technorati itself is driving users to Google. I prefer using Technorati, for all the features Google does not have, but am often forced to use Google when T*rati just dies on me. Or when I am in a hurry, I start with Google, not having the patience to wait for T*rati – even when it works, it’s horribly slow.

Too bad really, that all this innovation is coupled by poor performance:-(

3. BillyG on wrote:

I don’t feel sorry for them at all. I’ve sent them numerous questions and have never heard from them once.

4. Pi on wrote:

I’ve been testing both of these since this first came out, and find myself torn between the two. For incoming links Technorati is by far the better bet – and thus it is a shame WordPress now has Google Blog Search built into the Dashboard – Google is simply too far out of date. For defined searches on specific subjects, Technorati remains the best too, assuming that people have but the right tags on and used the right words in their text.For general searches, that is anything which might be relevant, Google wins hands down, assuming people are prepared to sift through a mass of stuff which, while interesting, doesn’t match what they are seeking.