Sam Levin just gave a presentation titled “Messaging & Branding; After the Product is Developed, What’s Next?” at the O’Reilly Mac OS X conference in Santa Clara. Below are quick notes from the session. I also recorded the session (21.1 MB MP3, 46:28).
There are many Apple resources for developers and partners to tap into.
- ADC membership
- Apple Consultants membership
- Mac logo usage
- Mac Products Guide
- Mac OS X download
- ADC promotions
- 20-25% of your total budget should be devoted to marketing.
- Data sheet. Example on Sam’s iDisk.
- Press releases, targeting good press channels.
- Editorial/reviews/awards. Put review directly into Web site and product literature. Sam has an Excel workbook of contacts for Mac product reviews.
- Viral marketing through online affinity groups such as specialty news sites and user groups.
- Cross marketing opportunities. License, co-market, channel bundling.